Monday, February 16, 2009

A ray of hope

This was the binding for my first quilt, which I ended up machine sewing in desperation.



This is the binding on my second quilt. I finally committed to hand sewing, but it was hard and awkward and I put it aside for months because I hated it so much. I ended up using two different thread colors and my corners are pathetic, not to mention the ginormous stitches:



Now, here is the binding I am currently working on for my third quilt. I started cutting the strips on Friday, and as of this morning, I am over halfway done with the hand stitching. I don't hate it, don't feel like setting fire to it and running through the streets screaming anti-quilting slogans. Somehow, the whole process became easier and faster, and while I still have a ways to go, this is a marked improvement over those abominations above.

8 comments:

Vicki W said...

That's the beauty of practice! The next one is ALWAYS better! But it sure doesn't mean that the better constructed quilt is better loved.

KateKwiltz said...

That looks great! I HATE hand-sewing bindings, so I have great respect for those who attempt it at any level!

jen said...

Excellent! I still can't get the darn stitches hidden. I don't mind, though, it reminds me (or the person who gets the quilt) that its homemade.

Meredith said...

I found your blog through a friend and I just wanted to tell you that every time I read it, you crack me up! The binding looks great...mine is actually getting WORSE with each quilt. Somehow I've lost the touch!

Diane Cransac said...

Like my mother always said, "Practice makes perfect" but then she did have a saying for every occasion *grin*

Sunna Reyr said...

Hi, I'm Sunna from Iceland and I have bin reading your blog for some time, great for a gloomy day, cause it usually makes me at least smile. I think your improvements are astounding. When I chance to see the binding on my first 4-5 quilting project, well lets just say I turn them hastily over.

MichelleB said...

A wonderful improvement. I sewed my first binding and hated it, and now I hand stitch every binding. Have you seen this? http://ankastreasures.wordpress.com/2008/12/31/binding-tips-2/

2ndAvenueStudio-Rachel said...

I hate binding... Oh, I can do it alright but it is just a chore I hate.... I seriously decided a few weeks ago that I am not gonna apologize for hating it... nor am I going to do it any more and sat down to perfect my machine binding "ala FunQuilts" ... never been happier about it ..