Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Misc.



The Kaffe Fassett quilt I made with my daughter came back from being quilted and now I have to tackle a binding again. I hate to fuck up such a pretty quilt, but I don't suppose I can leave the edges raw forever. Or can I?

I've been working on the backing for my husband's coffee quilt, and I ended up with 6 big pieces of fabric to sew together. I only have two seams left, and I did one this morning, only to realize that I had sewed 76 inches of fabric right side to wrong side. I sat muttering over my seam ripper, "Stupid, stupid, stupid," and my daughter said, "You're not stupid, Mom. But sometimes you do stupid things."

Yes, honey. Yes, I do.

Oh - and it's official:



I is a real editor now.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

You are so funny! I love reading your blog. NO, you CANNOT leave the edges of that quilt raw, young lady! It is too beautiful for that. Now, "MS. EDITOR", get that binding put on - hehehehehehehe

Vicki W said...

You crack me up! You could always zig-zag or serge the edge of the quilt. It would probably have to be done every year but it would be fast!

Linda said...

I blush to admit I didn't bind a quilt about 8 years ago. I'm still using it and I've thrown it in the washer and the dryer. So, yes, you could leave it, but. . .
Lurking Linda

Anonymous said...

YEAY! The quilt looks great - and so does "assistant editor" next to your name!

Hope you are felling better!

:) Carrie

KateKwiltz said...

Congrats! Thought I still think you starting your own "Bitchy Stitcher Magazine" would be WAY cool!

And have you ever tried doing a mock binding (also known, I think, as a self binding)? You leave enough backing so that you can fold it over toward the front and then just machine stitch it down. Really easy...and very difficult to mess up!