Tuesday, February 17, 2009

First, there was great rejoicing...

...and then mommy said "Motherfucker!"in front of the children.

I finished the Kaffe Fassett quilt:



and then, in my zeal to remove what I thought was a stray thread, I managed to completely rip out a seam holding two sections of binding together. On inspection, it looked as though a simple slipstitch would get it back together, but that turned out to be too hard for me. I really needed a smaller needle and I was already using the smallest one my carpal tunnel-damaged fingers can feel. So I Frankensteined it back together (that's a real stitch, right?).



I was only mad for a few minutes until I realized that this is my favorite quilt so far, one that was a real pleasure to make, one that will forever have special meaning for me and my daughter. Because whenever she looks at her quilt, and notices the Franken-stitches, she will remember the day her mother taught her how to say some extra-bad words.

4 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

If you don't teach them the words, they will learn elsewhere; basically, it's inevitable. I look back on my mother now, and realize she was preparing my vocabulary for the experience of driving, where I'm pretty most cursewords known to mankind have been uttered by my lips.

MichelleB said...

The quilt is lovely. You are probably the only one that will really notice those extra stitches. And I agree with Michelle - they will learn the words eventually. And you'll know they are actually using the words, too, when you hear the ease at which they roll off their tongues.

Vicki W said...

I still remember thre first time I heard my Mom say a bad word - she was doing a plumbing repair. I thought it was cool!

Ginny said...

I swear like a sailor! Really I might actually be able to make one blush if I try! I taught my girls from an early age that just cause mommy uses those words, they can't. It worked really well till my oldest hit high school. But I have to say I taught her well, she can hold her own in a swear off... Damm it! So just think your are not a bad Mommy, you are just preparing her for high school!