Monday, January 11, 2010

Sorry, y'all. I got no humor in me today.

Last week was clearly too calm and uneventful, because I awoke this morning to find an email from my dad and a text message from my daycare provider. I read the text message first, and therein discovered that she had taken her 17-year-old son to the emergency room because he seemed to have the stomach flu for a few days, but instead of getting better, it was getting worse. She and I are like the Texty Sisters - we text each other all the time and have long text conversations and we bond and as a a result she seems more likely to say "don't worry about it" if I'm late to pick up Devon rather than charging me two bucks a minute like she's supposed to. I just like having someone to send text messages to, other than my husband.

So while we're having one of our cell phone-based confabs, I read the email from my dad. In it, he has forwarded an email from my brother, who has written to tell my parents that yesterday at 6 a.m, he awoke to find himself on the floor of his bathroom; the tubing that runs to the toilet was broken and spraying water; he had a nasty bump on his head, a cut on his foot, and had bitten his tongue. When he was able to gather himself and talk to his wife, she noticed that his face looked "odd" and they proceeded to the emergency room. Two CT scans and an MRI later, it appears that my brother has two brain tumors.

Both the doctors at the hospital and the neurosurgeon he contacted today said that there is a possibility that what they were seeing on the scans was bleeding from the blow to his head that happened when he blacked out. But it begs the question: why did he black out - and quite possibly have a seizure - in the first place? There will apparently be a gathering of several neuros this Thursday, who will all confer to try to come to a diagnosis. A biopsy is probably imminent. Scans to see if there are tumors anywhere else. I can't speculate beyond that.

If you believe that there is any power in prayer or positive thinking, I'd be much obliged if you spent a little bit of it on my big brother. He's a really good guy, funny as hell, too. And I'm not ready to lose him.

30 comments:

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

So sorry to hear your news - love and light to you and your brother.

Sharon said...

Sorry to hear your news...but there are lots of people out there sending out thoughts for your brother!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

I will add him (and you and your family) to my prayers.

Tambo said...

Y'all will be in my prayers.

Joanne Lendaro said...

Keep the faith, keeping your entire family in my prayers. Keep us posted.

Michaela said...

Your family is in my prayers! Very sorry to hear about this.

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

Sorry to hear this. I'll keep your brother in my prayers!

Nicole said...

So sorry to hear about your brother- I will hold him up in my prayers and hope that you and your family stay strong and positive!!

Anonymous said...

Ack. Prayers, good vibes, burned herbs and good thoughts all being sent in the direction of your bro and your fam. Hang in there.

Nancy said...

Oh Megan... I always save your blog for last so I can begin the rest of my day laughing...

Today I am so sorry to hear about your brother. Prayers for him....

Diana said...

Wow, I sure know haw scary this is. I am recovering from a brain tumor biopsy myself. I still have my staples in my head and will see my surgeon on Friday for the results. Other than that I feel normal. This is a scary time and prayers help. Thankfully we are in a time medically, that they (the surgeons and doctors and nurses) have so much experience and knowledge about this stuff. I have absolutely been surrounded by prayers and good wishes from my family and friends (and quilters from all over)I will pray for your brother and your family. This isn't a death sentence you know, just the beginning to a problem that may well be solved. It just takes time and is very scary. I'm thinking of you. Prayers for you brother!

Jen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. It seems like such a scary ordeal. Hugs.

♥Duff said...

Thoughts of peace and love abound!
Sending reiki healing to you, your brother, and your family. <3

Anonymous said...

I hope all goes well for your brother..sending good thoughts

Lisa said...

I said a prayer as I read this and will continue. Sorry to hear about this.

Laurel said...

Hope everyting is figured out soon with your brother. My prayers are with you all.

Patty said...

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I'll be praying for him.

Jane said...

I do know what you are going through as we (my family) has been going through this kind of stuff since last February with my mom...I will spare you details but know that positive thoughts and prayers do help and I hope you get answers soon because really, that is the worst part....the waiting.....Take care....

Diana said...

I'm sending all my good thoughts your way. Take care.

Sarah Mac said...

Hang in there Bitchy Stitcher! This is the scariest of times - the waiting, not knowing what the future will bring. I hope you all get real information soon. Sending calm, strengthening thoughts to you and your big bro.

Vicky said...

positive white light heading your way.

Helen said...

Prayers are coming your way. Have faith, dear...it's all we have to hold on to.

Please keep us up on what's happening in your family.

Hugs

Anonymous said...

In my prayers.

Pokey said...

Sorry to hear the news, I hope he gets better, and soon.

debby, chester ny said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother & I do hope he will be OK.
I will keep him in my prayers. My own dad is in the hospital now (85 yrs. old). It's so hard to have a loved one ill. Take care.

Anonymous said...

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

Anonymous said...

There is nothing I can say to take away the worry and pain and make this right for you - BUT you are in my thoughts and I hope everything goes well.

p2w said...

You just never know when your life will be changed forever....hopefully this will just be a minor blip....prayers and good vibes are being sent your way...

KateKwiltz said...

Oh, Megan, I'm so sorry. Here's hoping for the best.

If I can offer any word on this, a neighbor I grew up with has had a brain tumor for eight (count 'em, EIGHT) years. They just keep an eye on it and may never take it out. Go figure.

Sending good thoughts your way...

Erin said...

I'm just now starting to catch up on a week's worth of not reading any blogs, and am so sad to see this. Very scary, indeed... I'll send all the good thoughts his way. Hang in there, lady - rough times, lately, but that which does not kill us, et cetera. Although in our cases, perhaps, that which doesn't kill us had better run away pretty damned quickly.