Monday, April 13, 2009

Maybe there's something I don't suck at!

Remember that email I got from Mark Lipinski?

THEY'RE GOING TO PUBLISH IT!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY CRAP! SOMEBODY GET ME A PAPER BAG AND TURN OFF MY CAPS LOCK KEY!!!!!!

Whew. Breathe in. Breathe out.

Seriously, this is so huge for me. All I ever wanted to be when I was growing up was a writer, and I really wanted to be a humor writer and I pushed that dream aside because I convinced myself that a) I wasn't that good at it anyway and b) humor writing wasn't really a worthy pursuit. There are many, many reasons why I thought these things, reasons I won't go into at length here, but this blog has changed all that for me. Learning to quilt taught me that I don't have to be perfect at something to pursue it anyway, that I can be lousy at something and still enjoy it. Blogging about it has freed me to write, finally, in my own voice, without censoring myself and constantly worrying about what someone might think.

Every time that one of you comments or emails and tells me that I made you laugh, my heart just swells with gratitude. Knowing that I am succeeding, even a little, at the one thing I ever really wanted to do (while writing about something I never wanted to do until recently and can't do well at all) has — no exaggeration — changed my life.

So, thank you - all of you. My dear husband brought home champagne and when we pop it open this evening and I raise my glass, it will be a toast to you.

And when I pass out in a pool of my own vomit, and wake up with a nuclear hangover, I promise not to blame you. Now that's love, people. That's love.

25 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

That's awesome! I need to figure out where I can buy that mag - maybe B&N?

Megan said...

That's where I get it!

Sheila said...

Congratulations, Megan!

Cathy said...

I'm so excited for you. I knew you were going to go far.

Barbp said...

Holy crap! Good for you..

So glad I got a subscription! Can't wait to see your name in print.

Congrats...

Barbp

2ndAvenueStudio-Rachel said...

Oh That is exciting! Can't wait to see it!

MichelleB said...

Congratulations! Wonderful news. I really need to subscribe to that magazine.

Kathy said...

CONGRATULATIONS! This is so awesome. And let me tell you, I can't hardly wait for you to post because you are so DAMN FUNNY1

Vicki W said...

Yes, that is true love! Congratulations! You are one of the best writers in blog land. I always look forward to your posts.

Michaela said...

OK, I just found your blog and have been laughing out loud ever since. I don't know yet what it is that's going to be published, but I will find out shortly here. Congratulation though!
Thanks for making me laugh!

jen said...

Yay!! Congratulations to you.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Congratulations! I just found your blog and am loving it. You are a good writer and make me laugh! Keep it up. You're my therapy.

Linda said...

Congratulations Megan! Though I am not even a little surprised they are printing it :)

Enjoy the bubbly.

Dayna said...

Good things come to those who persevere. And never give up on your dreams. See what happens! Congrats! Will watch for the copy.

Joyce said...

Congratulations! I do like that magazine.

Unknown said...

I am so new here, but love your sick humour and I'd read your blog even if you weren't a quilter...now how's that for a compliment....

Joanne Lendaro said...

WOO HOO!!! That is super fantastic!! Congrats!! You deserve to be published we need more honest writers with a sense of humor.

Thearica said...

Congratulations on the article! I am excited for you!!

Quinta da Quilter said...

Awesome news!!! Congrats!
Can't wait to see it in print!
Keep the giggles coming!

Anonymous said...

YEAHHHHHHHHH MEGAN!! I am so excited for you! I "cyber" know an author now! heheh
Grats!
melissa

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! Way to go. Can't wait to read it.
-Kathy

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! I just read that post. Just about PMSL. Wish I'd been here sooner.

Deana said...

Awesome! I just read your tutorial. I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. I was binding 2 quilts in January and could relate. Congrats! Hope this is the first of many publishings to come!

Sunna Reyr said...

Thanks for that love.... and congratulation, there was never a doubt in my mind that I would be reading "you" in the Dude mag. Own all off them and read them from cover to cover. You will fit right in there.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Megan. You are a hoot and that's exactly why I added your blog to my Google Reader because, God knows, I don't need another blog to read! Keep it up and don't ever doubt yourself again...you ARE funny. I mean, your writing is funny. Thanks for sharing,Kathy