Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Quiltaroo? Blogstock? Burning Blogger?

Okay, y'all. LoveFest 2010 needs to pack up and get off the nice man's farmland now. I never said I was gonna change or quit, but just needed to work out some of my many, many insecurities. Thank god I have a place for that, right? And such great people to encourage me when I do.

I hate to do this, because I know it drives her nuts, but I can't not show you what I finished last night, so she's just gonna have to buck up and deal.

THE OVERLY INDULGENT READER WHO GIFTED ME A PLANE TICKET IS NOT ALLOWED TO SCROLL PAST THE BUFFER PICTURE OF MY KIDS. Unless she wants to. It's totally up to her.




I truly miss the days when wearing a bathing suit felt so free and easy and that getting into a crouching position like that while wearing one wasn't potentially obscene. I'm seriously considering getting one of those "modest" swimsuits, which of course I will wear while drinking tequila straight from the bottle and giving everyone the finger, just so no one thinks I've gone Amish or something.

ANYWAY. I have actually been sewing, and I've gone back to working on my plane ticket benefactor's quilt. It needed sashing, not only to set off the blocks nicely and make the quilt bigger, but also because the blocks were nearly impossible to square off to the same size. Those damn Bali pops were just all over the place, and I hoped that I could make up some of the shortfalls and overages in the sashing. I think it may still need a border for the same reason, but I'm considering it finished enough to show you.


You can't tell in the picture, but the sashing isn't just white. I had purchased a sort of lavender and blue batik that seemed pale enough for what I wanted when I was in the shop, but when I got it home, I felt it was going to compete with the blocks too much. I kept looking for what I really wanted, which was something so pale that it would seem white against the blocks, but would actually have some color in it, preferably blue. Never found it. So I took the fabric I originally bought and bleached it. It came out perfect - the fabric is now almost white with soft streaks of pale, pale blue. Of course, it will probably now disintegrate in a stiff breeze, but I'm not going to worry about that while it's hanging up all pretty and finished and not sucking.

16 comments:

Becky said...

Very beautiful quilt! I'm sure she will love it!

Cherie in St Louis said...

Megan, jumping right into discharging fabric??? What are you thinking? Next thing we know you'll be brewing up your own fabric dyes ;) The quilt looks fabulous, really terrific and worthy to give as a huge thank you gift. You done good, girlfriend.

The Calico Cat said...

A. Lovely quilt
B. "& I thought my suit was modest..."
C. Now that you are no longer a quilt show virgin are going making plans to go to Hershey (Quilt Odyssey) next month?

Barbara said...

>>>of course I will wear while drinking tequila straight from the bottle and giving everyone the finger <<<

oh dear goofy, I just spewed coffee all over my keyboard !!! ROTFLMAO !

The quilt top is simply beautiful - the design you chose for the colors is incredible - she is going to love it for many reasons !

Sew Here We Are said...

Great colors...Are you going to quilt it yourself?

Lisa Sipes said...

Wow. I really like it! I would've used Rock Candy by Blank just because I'm addicted to it, but bleaching fabric (or using color remover) to get exactly what you want is a little known secret so YAY! It's gorgeous.

Linda said...

Is it just me or are those modesty suit mannequins really creepy? Love the quilt too :)

Linda

Sarah Craig said...

Ok, just so you don't get too overwhelmed with sweetness in these comments, it definitely doesn't suck! Really, though, it's great!! She's going to love it! And I love your solution for getting just the right color fabric!

J Clarke said...

Be-a-u-ti-ful!!

I bought a pack of Bali Pops at the Annapolis Quilt Show, too.

Did you use the June Taylor Diamond template? I had to hunt for it, but finally found it. I haven't started cutting yet - though this provides inspiration!

DianeY said...

Beautiful! And the sashing looks especially great with the cornerstones!

Paulette said...

It's gorgeous! Great idea to bleach that fabric.

KateKwiltz said...

Hey! I like how that one turned out! Now just fire up that machine and don't overthink the quilting. In fact, take a couple swigs of tequila and just go for it!

Peggi said...

Megan that quilt is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm wishing I had a plane ticket to give, so you'd make me a gorgeous quilt like that....

Wendy said...

Maaahhhh-vell-ous ... you make one bitchin' stitchin' ... :-) Great job, Megan!!

Dragon Lady said...

Great, now instead of working on baby quilts, I have the overwhelming urge to go bleach some batiks.

k.somerville said...

Those modest swimsuits are overrated. Get yourself a tankini and a bottle of tequila and you're good to go. I would also recommend a pair of big 'ol jet black (or even white) plastic Jackie-O shades to give the whole look a little flair. Trust me, I tried the whole modest bathing suit thing and frankly I felt like a strapped ham. I got a two piece tankini, with a bottom that has a snappy little skirt on it at Sam's Club - yes, Sam's Club. I know, I know but it's really cute. Just sharing...