Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The kindness of strangers

I told you all a few days ago that I had another story to tell you about a kind reader, and now that the project she helped me with is finished, I can give you pictures and tell you the whole thing. Well, almost the whole thing, as there is a bit of the story yet to come...but I digress.

But first, let me get his bit o' business out of the way: IF I AM MAKING YOUR BABY A QUILT AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO HAVE THE SURPRISE SPOILED, STOP READING NOW.

In fact, just to be on the safe side, here's a couple buffer pictures of my kids:




Okay, I think it's safe now.

Back when I completed this quilt top,




I lamented that I would probably have to quilt it myself, since I am unemployed and very, very broke. A reader commented on that post that if I had enough money for postage, she would be happy to quilt it for me. I responded, are you shittin' me? And she said nope, not only am I not shittin' ya, I'll throw in the batting and the backing. 

So as part of my personal campaign to let people be nice to me, I said okay.  I gave her carte blanche to do whatever she wanted, and to take as long as she wanted to finish. She told me to stop thanking her. I had difficulty with that. You'll see why.

She only had my quilt for a couple weeks before she finished it. She turned it into something extraordinary. I still get breathless looking at it.



















She used fabric from the same line for the backing and gave me the leftovers, which I used to make the binding. 




And I made my very first label, which I appliqued fairly well, if I do say so myself.




I know she doesn't want me to thank her anymore, but I will say that if you are looking for an extremely talented longarmer for your quilts, please consider Lisa Marie. She blogs over at That Crazy Quilty Girl, she has pink hair (jealous!) and she has mad skills. If you want to inquire about her services, you can email her at lmms1981 at gmail dot com. Please tell her that I sent you. But don't tell her I said thank you; she might throw something at me.

Once again, because of this crazy piece of work I blather on semi-regularly, somebody stepped up and did something unbelievably kind and generous for me. So, when I give this quilt to little Iona, I hope that I will be able to adequately tell her mother how much love went into the making of it, and how much it means to me that her baby will be wrapped in a quilt that was not made by my hands alone. Because I have discovered that quilting, even in the age of the internet, is as much a group effort as it ever was, and our quilts connect us to each other as we share the process of making them together. 


18 comments:

quiltinbysea said...

How Beautiful, the story, the quilting and the quilt. Even the label is beautiful.

Warms the heart.

Off to visit Lisa Marie on her blog.

Evelyn said...

Oh, it's gorgeous! You both did a fantastic job, and the story is wonderful. Way to go, Lisa Marie!

soggybottomflats said...

Just when I think, wahoo, another rant and you make me sniffle and snort snot all over, geez. What a gorgeous quilt and the quilting is extrodinarily beautiful!

I would love to see a book someday on the quilters hearts, worldwide, and the lives they touch. Not a sappy romance but the real thing. There ya go Megan, write a book! I have a new friend in Australia who bought a quilt kit from me, opened the package and realized the kit proceeds would benefit Alzheimers disease. Her mother has this disease so it not only touched her heart but gave her a mission to finish the quilt while thinking of her mum. As you can testify, quilters never fail to amaze me nor you. Can you only imagine what other stories there are out there?

Great job on the quilt Megan, I love it and just know the baby will be cozy. Thank you so much for sharing, mucho hugs to ya, Elaine in Texas

Sew Here We Are said...

Beautiful quilt, story and people. The kindness of strangers. When you give you receive. Lisa Marie is way cool, have been a follower of hers for awhile now.

Vicky said...

Just goes to show that the world can be a nice place :)

Gene Black said...

The girls are adorable. And the quilt is indeed awesome. I need followers like that! Ha ha.
Well actually one did quilt a quilt for me at a bargain price.

Vicki W said...

Awesome quilt and story!

Nancy said...

oh...i remember when she commented!! i had hoped you would remember to show us the finished quilt.
Great collaborative project... quiters are the nicest people...

Margie said...

Don't normally just post a comment, but had today!! Your girls are adorable and THAT quilt is beautiful. That first picture, it was just another quilt, but after, sorry, need to go find the box of Kleenex!! Take Care!

Dana Gaffney said...

Wow. I'm speechless.

Paulette said...

Wow, that is just gorgeous! You both did excellent work on this one!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

"Because I have discovered that quilting, even in the age of the internet, is as much a group effort as it ever was, and our quilts connect us to each other as we share the process of making them together."

HERE, HERE!

Beautiful top, quilting and story thank you

Patty said...

The quilt looks "Hunky Dory" to me. OMG I really didn't have to say that did I? It's really beautiful. You 2 gals did a wonderful job on it. Thanks for the heads up on Lisa Marie. It's hard to find good machine quilters. Oh, and so Megan doesn't have to say it again, THANK YOU LISA MARIE.

Sarah Mac said...

Loving the "connection of quilts"!

Anonymous said...

Deborah says:

It was a somewhat difficult day and I came to your spot to check out what was new.

The girls are so adorable and the quilt is just lovely! I hope Iona loves it to pieces....literally.

:)

Juanita said...

Stories like this restore my faith in human nature. And quilters really do have a special connection! As for all the quilting stories out there - I'm only starting to realize the impact of quilting throughout history. Megan, you are such a great storyteller, I'd love to see you connect to Cathy Miller who records some of those stories in song. You would have a lot in common. She might even write a song about you:-)

lori said...

Thanks for this... it is a terrific story, a beautiful quilt and a simply happy bit of the universe! Love it!

Jo Major Ciolino said...

Okay, this is from left field but I had to say something. PLEASE do not use zip code abbreviations for states on quilt labels! The beautiful, BEAUTIFUL quilt deserves to have a label that doesn't have a (#)#(@$ post office zip code abbreviation. I know - it's more work. (I live in Massachusetts.) My mother caligraphied all her quilt labels and spelled out N-e-b-r-a-s-k-a EVERY time. It is that most elegant touch that puts the cap on a beautiful quilt. Thank you for listening to my wacked out (but sensible) rant!