Monday, May 17, 2010

Applique, schmapplique

I have only a few minutes to dash off this post, so we'll see what I can do with the precious time allotted to me today. Devon's daycare is closed today and tomorrow, but I managed to get a babysitter for a couple hours each day. Of course as soon as she got here David called and needed me to run to the bank, and then the guy in front of me at the ATM left his card so I had to park and go in and stand in line to be a good citizen and return it and then I went to the store only to realize when I got to the car that I forgot to pay for a bottle of ibuprofen...being honest has totally screwed with my day.

So, I want to show you the progress I've made on my plane ticket benefactor's quilt because OH BOY is it looking good. But of course, I have to post a buffer picture first so that she can't see it right away. So here is a picture of the bar and the inside of the bar fridge at my parents' house.




And now here are all the blocks I've made on PTB's quilt so far:


I'm not sure how many more I can do with the strips I have, since we're getting down to ones that don't really go together well. But I'd like this to be a good lap size quilt. I still need to figure out what to do for sashing.

Oh, and before I have to go - I have decided it's time. I've been putting it off and putting it off, and I just have to give in and do it already. I'm going to teach myself applique.

The sign from above (or below, more likely) that told me I had to get on this now was a promotion that was being held among several online fabric stores, and each store had a pie recipe and a pattern for a pie themed quilt block. And those of you who know the story of my brother and the cherry pie know that I've been wanting to make him something with a cherry pie theme. Turned out there were only two quilt blocks, and the better of the two was an applique pattern.

Then I discovered this blog. Something about Erin's photos and way of explaining things just made sense, in a way that other blogs, websites, and books have not. So I'm going to try it. I bought a bunch of fat quarters today, as well as some heat resistant mylar, fabric glue, and a wee little iron.

So, I don't feel so bad about the fact that today's post isn't very funny. I've just set myself up for comedy gold.

14 comments:

Nancy said...

the quilt is really coming together nicely.
and LOVE the bar and bar fridge...lol

Anne said...

I"m still loving those blocks. That might become my go-to block for guild exchanges now.

Paulette said...

Your boxy stars blocks are looking great! Looking forward to your foray into appliqueing with the pie quilt.

DianeY said...

Nothing like a well-stocked bar & fridge - and beautiful blocks to go with it! Good luck on your cherry pie!

LittleBook said...

Yeah. I'm going to need to hang out with your parents. Definitely.

Leah said...

The quilt blocks look great so far! If you want these to come together in a lap sized quilt, use 4.5" sashing and an 8" border and it will grow, grow, grow!

Let's go quilt!

Leah Day

Sarah Craig said...

Beautiful blocks! I love the colors - and the idea of wide sashing and wider borders is pretty good - moves the quilt right along, and you won't have to use colors you don't like!

Marilyn League said...

Where do your parents live and would they invite me over for cocktails? Oh the blocks are nice too.

Sew Here We Are said...

Awesome blocks!!

Peggi said...

1. LOVE the blocks
2. I'm thinking I like them better without sashing. Make more blocks, please. Just my $.02 worth.
3. When The Teen annoys me to the point where the hole I'm digging in the garden to plant a rosebush starts looking suspiciously like a grave, may I admit myself pronto to your parents' well-stocked bar and partake of their life-saving liquor?

Cherie in St Louis said...

Wow, you're blocks are looking terrific. I received my Quilters Home in the mail yesterday but saved your article to read today.....today is my birthday, my 50th, so I figured I'd read if when I get home today because I know I'll need a good laugh to cheer me up after all the 50th birthday shenanigans that are sure to abound. Thanks in advance for a great birthday present ;)

Marion said...

If you want the quilt to grow without too much effort, set the blocks on point. (I like on point, even the tile on my kitchen floor is on point!). Of course, that means that you will have to resist the call to do something with the setting triangles, like put applique there...

Anonymous said...

Deborah says:

Don't worry about applique (unless you intend to do needleturn applique, you know, by hand). I tried it once for about an inch. Drove me crazy!

Now, I'm into slapplique! I just cut the shapes out in whatever design is called for and use a blanket, zig zag, or satin stitch to sew it on. I don't even use any adhesive. Seriously, I just don't have the patience.

Of course, none of my quilts would win any ribbons, but I'm having fun!

kanishk said...

Your boxy stars blocks are looking great!
PPC Advertising India