Sunday, August 9, 2009

In honor of shark week

So, um, yeah. I know I haven't been posting much, but that's because I haven't been sewing much. This entire last week was all about getting my youngest daughter acclimated to her new daycare, which she has done admirably, I must say. I got great advice from Ginny, who is a licensed daycare provider herself, and between her and the wonderful professional who now looks after my iddle biddle shmoopie every day, we made it through the first week without anyone clinging to anyone else's leg and crying uncontrollably. Though I certainly wanted to. No, the only difficulty was that after her first morning, I took her and her sister to McDonald's to celebrate and she has expected to do this every day thereafter. As soon as she sees that we are heading towards home and not The Source of All Joy, she starts whining, "Aw! I want Old McDonald's!" Later, she changed her tactic to casually suggesting that we go to "the Chicken Nugget Store." Two and a half, and already so much like her mother. I'm so proud (*sniff*)!

Today, in an effort to get some sort of inspiration for my next sewing project, I dragged my entire family on a trek to Rockville, north of D.C., to find G Street Fabrics. My mom used to go there when she lived in Pennsylvania and needed a better selection than what could be found in her little town, and it seemed like it ought to be a pretty good shop, but I was underwhelmed by the selection. I only saw a couple collections I recognized and they were old - other stores had already put them on clearance, and they were selling them full price. AND, despite information that suggested the contrary, they don't sell ANY Moda precuts. AND their fat quarters sucked. AND...well, that was it, really. I was just so disappointed.

But Number One Daughter has been itching to make another quilt with mom, and we did happen to stumble across something absurdly perfect, something that Harper and I couldn't not buy. I chose some solids to go with it, since there weren't any coordinating prints:



So now I need a pattern that is easy enough for me to handle (meaning only squares, rectangles, or half square triangles) and will show off the sharks well enough. Any ideas?

11 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

Disappearing Nine-patch?

LizA. said...

BQ Quilt
http://www.mapleislandquilts.com/images/Product/large/MIQ705.jpg

SandyQuilts said...

Warm Wishes
http://web.archive.org/web/20071203221133/http://quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt4/
OR
http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/details.html?idx=5185

It's so easy and comes out perfect everytime.

Here's just 3 I've made:
http://sandyquilts.blogspot.com/2009/03/making-quilt-kits.html

Lisa said...

The Source of All Joy!!! LMAO!!!

Andi said...

I like the BQ idea. Something that leaves the sharks as plain squares, and pieced blocks around them.
"Old McDonald's' is my daughter's fave too, but it's a weekend treat when the walls start closing in on Mommy.

Joyce said...

My suggestion was BQ2, I think it's easier than the BQ and the blocks are really large. I think the sharks would look swimmingly in the pattern....:)

2ndAvenueStudio-Rachel said...

Wonky squares.. you might really do with the wonkiness.
All really great ideas ...
love your madmen avatar... mine looked my great Aunt June! I just couldn't save it.
can't wait for new season to start!

The Calico Cat said...

I only go to G-Street (the very same one - used to be within walking distance of my office) for Kona Cottons & then only with a coupon. They are ALWYAS over priced. So bad that I took a snap of the price sticker once for proof!

two hippos said...

I was in the Rockville G Street fabrics about 7 weeks ago, and was similarly disappointed with the meager (and overpriced) selection. In the past, I've found that the G Street in 7 Corners (VA) has a larger quilting cotton selection, but I don't know if that still holds.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I have no clue but I LOVE the sharks. And Happy Birthday!

Susan Entwistle said...

Just found your blog. Love it. You should have just dragged the family 10 more minutes north and gone to Capital Quilts. And if you're looking for the Daddy of all Moda precut sources, head out to Purcellville, VA to Web Fabrics, you won't be disappointed.