Tuesday, August 25, 2009

It beats heavy drinking

So, for oh NO REASON, I've been contemplating the various ways that someone, not me, might go about coping with massive toddler tantrums that seem to be happening on a daily basis, quite possibly the result of putting said toddler in daycare so that someone, not me, CAN HAVE A LIFE. My own almost-6-year old had her share of meltdowns everyday after I picked her up from daycare when she was about this age, but they were not as...rough? Horrible? Cataclysmic? Apocalyptic?

Okay. It's me.

The best advice I have found says to basically ignore the tantrum, because then they learn that pitching a fit doesn't garner them more attention or get them what they're screaming for. But how do you ignore a child who is not only screaming and crying and demanding something totally unreasonable, but is also clinging to you, climbing up your legs and holding on to your neck in a desperate attempt to get and keep your attention?

So, I'm thinking that next time, I'm either going to put my fingers in my ears, close my eyes, and go, "LA, LA, LA, LA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!" or I'm going to channel all my anger and frustration into learning applique so that I can work on a lovely quilt with appliqued letters that spell out "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SHUT THE FUCK UP. P.S. I LOVE YOU. MOMMY"

12 comments:

Vicki W said...

I bet you could make a fortune just selling the pattern for said quilt and then you could pay someone to applique the darned thing for you.

Lisa said...

Ahahaha! I always smile when I see you have posted something, because even before I get here I know it's gonna be funny!

As usual, you made me laugh right out loud! That quilt would rock! Of course, you'd have to hide it when the in-laws were over.

soggybottomflats said...

Umm, I would buy the pattern for my daughter to make for her 3 year old and not born yet daughter! Of course you will need to send it in a plain brown wrapper...Elaine

Jill said...

that would be perfect. I could add to that category for further quilts

Joy said...

LOLOL, that's hilarious - thanks so much for a good laugh :o)!!! I bet you could come up with a whole series of quilts in that style he he he!!
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Anonymous said...

Even though my kids are grown, COUNT ME IN!!!!!!!

Karen

lifewithquads said...

I think I like the stitching idea. lol

robinww said...

ROFLMAo!! Love the quilt idea.
You have my sympathy and I have no ideas for you. At least you still have a sense of humor.

whitey said...

You speak for many!

olga said...

Your patern would be operfect for my grandaughter who can scream and stomp her feet in a manner that almost defies description. You are right in the money.

Meredith said...

Your blog cracks me up! Just thought I would let you know!

Marla said...

I thought I was the only parent who said "bad words". I'm soooo relieved to know I'm not alone. Thanks for the laugh!