Friday, August 12, 2011

Birthday thoughts

Good grief, y'all, I'm 42 today. Every year, my birthday makes me feel more and more melancholy. I wonder about how little I've accomplished, and whether there is much more to look forward to in the second half of my life. Yes, I have a wonderful husband and two great kids. I've become a humor writer and I'm starting a new publication. But somehow, on this day, I wonder if it all means anything, if I'm doing any of it right.

I'm honestly not fishing for praise or birthday wishes here. Just having one of those mid-life moments where you start to think that maybe something is missing from your life. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just feel like there's an emptiness, a space in my life just waiting to be filled. It's hard to grasp, but I just don't think I've experienced everything that life has to offer.*

I think what I really need...is this.




*Y'all know this is all bullshit, right? And it's just an excuse for the link? Just checking.

1 comment:

Quilting Queen said...

Hey girl, the forties turned out to be the absolute best...Fifties were fun too and now that I am in my sixties I'm still having a ball. It all boils down to attitude and you have it in spades...keep on keepin' on. I clicked and giggled...