Monday, November 24, 2008

Someday, she'll be as mediocre as her mommy

My 5-year-old daughter, Harper, is still in that blessedly cute stage of childhood where she thinks everything Mommy does is beyond cool. She even assumes that all the foods she eats have been somehow magically made by me ("I really love your Sun Chips, Mommy.") So, naturally she's been fascinated by all the sewing and has been begging to "help" me make something.

So last week we got out a bunch of Kaffe Fassett charm squares that I had purchased on eBay back when I started this whole sewing thing and was still trying to figure out how to handle the fabric end of things. Should I buy yardage and cut it myself (not a great option, considering my rather, um, challenged rotary cutting skills) or just rely on charm packs, limiting the patterns I can use but at least more likely to be cut in actual squares and not some weird rhomboid shapes. Of course, like with the fish or fabric question, I've ended up doing both.

But the thing about these squares was that when I got them they reeked of smoke, and sure enough, I checked the listing and waaaaaaay down at the bottom, in the teensiest letters it said We do use and enjoy our fireplace during the winter months. Now, I'm no expert on fireplaces, having never had one, but I'm pretty sure the smoke is not supposed to go wafting into the fabric storage area. Which leads me to assume that either this lady has some serious flue issues or she is storing her fabric in the chimney.

The only way I could use the squares was to wash them first, and if I were some sort of magical fairy I would have hand washed them, but I am merely mortal and had to use the washing machine. In my defense I put them in a lingerie bag (which is funny because I don't actually own any lingerie but I have a bag to wash some in should I ever get frisky and go buy some) and set the washer on "delicate." Nevertheless, they came out all frayed and I didn't think they were going to be useable - until Harper spied them in the scraps box.

The squares are all different sizes now because of the fraying, but Harper has no freaky neuroses about things lining up, so we just sewed away without thinking too hard. She has been choosing the order and orientation of the squares and I do the sewing. I think it's going to be my favorite quilt so far.

From The Bitchy Stitcher


From The Bitchy Stitcher


From The Bitchy Stitcher


From The Bitchy Stitcher

12 comments:

Vicki W said...

I think it looks great! Really! She looks like she is concentrating so hard too.

I had to wask some pre-cut fabric liek that once and did the same as you. I have to use the lingerie bag for something, after all. What a HUGE mess! At least yours became something.

Unknown said...

It just goes to show you that when you let go of all your preconceived ideas of what quilts and art should be and enjoy the process, you get beautiful quilts and have fun! You might want to look at these women and their quilts and techniques: Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran. They have a freestyle/liberated style which is fun, fun, fun!

I spend too much time ripping and swearing when I do detailed intricate patterns...matching seams, following patterns....aaagh! But when I just let go and make a quilt all loosy goosy-it may not be a "Dear Jane" quilt (those women must be seriously insane!) but boy, it is rewarding. And I have enough life stress already, I don't need it in my hobbies :)

jen said...

I love it! Love it, love it, love it! I think that having a kid do the matching is a good plan...Then there is not expectation of order, matching, whatever. LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

That quilt is gonna ROCK! The colors are gorgeous and it will mean so much more knowing your daughter decided what goes where!

Are you going to have it professionally quilted, like the last ones?

I am really excited for you! What a joy to share with her; I hope you kept the cuss words to a minimum when stitchin!

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous!!!!!

Karen in IN

Carol said...

I think it looks very pretty and love the way she is sooo concentrating on where to put the blocks. Treasure that quilt. Do we see a future quilter??? I think so and a very artistic one at that.

She is adorable Megan.

Joyce said...

She's a color expert alredy and I love the wonkiness of it.

Anonymous said...

What a kick butt quilt Huh??? I love it!! A lesson in letting go= a work of art =)
Did you get the job? I am waiting on pins and needles here. How could they NOT hire you. There could NEVER have been a more witty, intelligent, fantastically creative candidate than YOU. AND you can spell (unlike me.)

Myra said...

What a wonderful mommy daughter bonding time for you two!!! 8-)

Megan said...

The last interviews take place at the beginning of next week, so I don't expect to hear about whether I get to compete in the bonus round until sometime after that, hopefully within the same week. And even THEN, she might do a follow-up interview with a couple candidates after that.

My husband suggested pointing her to my blog and I nearly spit out my Dr Pepper. I'm SURE she would be totally impressed by all my foul-mouthed ranting!

KateKwiltz said...

Hooray for Harper!
Maybe your eBay seller was HIDING her fabric in the fireplace where her husband wouldn't see it?

Anonymous said...

pfft - blogger ate my comment .. nasty thing!

she is just wayyyy to precious - how charming is THAT!

i just love how intense she is .. and great colour placement too!!!

hugs
g