Saturday, August 16, 2008

Disappearing Nine Patch

Now, flush with the limited success of my first quilt, I have decided to tackle the second, since I can't very well make a bad quilt for Number One Daughter without also making one for Number Two Daughter, now can I?

I had to address the issue of fabric, however, and on the advice of my first and only reader, poolgrl95, went back to JoAnn's to see if they had suddenly ordered something fabulous, but perhaps this is only happening in select locations, and not, you know, here. So I hauled my ailing vehicle (that would be my car - not my big butt) down to Annapolis to check out a quilt shop there. Now, I will say that they had a lot of nice fabrics there - just none that made me want to shove old ladies out of the way for (and isn't that really the criterion we all use?) I had other errands to run, and on my way home, I remembered a little store I had seen in an unassuming strip mall some weeks ago as I was looking for a Target in the area. It was called the Fabric Chest, and from the road there was no way to tell what might be inside. I had 45 minutes before I had to get home and relieve the babysitter, so I stopped.

I was giddy. Actually giddy - practically giggling and wishing like mad I had a friend with me so I could go "Look at this! And this! And this!" A very sweet lady pointed out all the cheap sale fabric, but I was entranced by all of it. It wasn't a huge store - it just had exactly the kind of fabric that makes me start fantasizing about all the fabulous things I could make IF I COULD ONLY LEARN HOW TO SEW.

So, here's what I bought:



I hope to use just these two fabrics to create a simple disappearing nine patch pattern, but since this will involve serious rotary cutting skills, I may be forced to create a quilt out of angrily wadded up scraps.

1 comment:

Myra said...

Surprise, surprise! poolgrl95 is probably not your first and only reader. A friend of mine directed me to your blog today. She has been "visiting" you often in the last while. You probably have lots of visitors that just don't like to leave comments.
Question; Does your mother or/and sister not live nearby to help teach you how to sew/quilt?
I started my quilting hobby by taking lessons. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. First class - applique!!! Yikes!
I think you are doing fine, but it would be good for you to find yourself someone to share in the experience...
Oh, and, my doc went up one side of me, and down the other about my weight gain over the last year... I don't know what is more important to her, but to me, right now, I want to get my depression all sorted out! The hell with my weight!