Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Maybe I should just call it George

Last week, when Devon returned to daycare after the holiday weekend and our trip to Kentucky, her daycare provider informed me that she was closing her childcare business. This put me on a mad dash to find alternate care, all of which would be much more expensive than our dear Miss Aleace was charging. Plus payments on the new car start this month, and I was starting to get that panicky feeling in the pit of my stomach. In a moment of Totally Freaking Out, I happened to be in an email exchange with one of the editors at QH, who was all like, "How you doin'?" And I was all, "Oh, I'm good, but I might have to take my child out of daycare and quit freelancing for a while." And she was all, "OH NO YOU WILL NOT."

As is usually the case when I feel like I need to stop what I'm trying to do and either get a soul-sucking - I mean, real - job or keep Devon home and not write, my husband steps in and says he won't let me do that. He wants me to keep writing, and to focus on myself, to get healthier and better at what I do and says he doesn't mind making sacrifices in order for me to do that.  And, no you cannot have him.

So in the midst of all this panicking, I get an email from my old boss at the local magazine, who says that the person they hired to replace me is leaving and would I be interested in coming back? When they hired this person, as you may recall, they had been way behind on paying me, so they reduced the responsibilities of the position and also the pay. Presumably, they have been paying my replacement on time, but I'll find that out for sure when I hear back from her (she's a writer I hired at the magazine I worked for before this one and I brought her with me when I moved over. Then I recommended her for my job when I left.) She'll give me all the dirt, and then I can decide if the risk is worth it, and if the effort they will ask of me is worth what they are willing to pay. They did ultimately pay me everything they owed me, even though it took 6 months. I believe they are good people, just struggling, as many are, in the current economic climate.

I just feel like, for once, I am in a position of advantage where a job is concerned. I don't have to take this position. If I don't like what they're offering I can counter-offer. I can say no thank you and walk away. I can say that I'll do it until I get more freelance work that pays as well as QH. I'm not having to convince them that I'm worth hiring ("I'm a people person and I love puppies and I devote all my time and energy to worshipping my employer like the goddess I'm sure she is.") - they know I'm worth hiring. The question now is, are they worth working for? GOD, that feels good.

You know what else feels good? Sewing together 676 motherfucking half-square triangle units into one breathtaking quilt top. Pressing open that last goddamn seam, and pinning the finished quilt to the wall, stepping back, and just basking in the accomplishment.


I wish I had a better place to hang and photograph it, because this picture really does not do it justice. It's as if this:


and this:


made sweet, sweet love and had a baby. THAT'S how gorgeous my quilt is. The Jolie-Pitts WISH they could produce something this beautiful. In fact, Angelina is probably coming over here right now to try to adopt it. ("But, Braaa-aaaaad, I wanna quilt baby! It totally counts - the batiks are from Indonesia!"

37 comments:

Chelley said...

G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S. George! : )

Sarah Mac said...

Thanks for the laugh! Quilt looks amazing...as does George. ;)

Vicki W said...

Your George quilt is awesome!

Natalie said...

aweeeeee what a sweet husband!

Your quilt is stunning! Have you decided how you're going to quilt it?

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for showing the pictures today. Yes - you should call your quilt George - both your quilt and THAT man are gorgeous. You really made my day.
Oh yeah, I hope that the job offer comes with the pay you deserve.
cindy

Susan said...

Thank you for cracking me up this morning. Your quilt top looks great on this end. What are you planning on using for backing?

Anne said...

I like the idea of George making a quilt for me, working with me in my studio... sigh

Megan said...

...humping your fabric...

Wendy said...

Gorgeous quilt!! George is good :) Good luck with the job sitch....you are in the driver's seat and oh what a good feeling! Enjoy!!

Megan said...

Susan - I have some pieces of all the batiks leftover that I will probably incorporate into the backing somehow. My real conundrum is the binding.

Natalie - I am going to quilt it the old fashioned way: by check. Actually, I have made the acquaintance of a very nice longarmer who lives near me and does fabulous work and once I get the backing done I will drive over the Bay Bridge to meet her and go over what I want. All I know now is what I don't want and that is just an all over pantograph pattern.

Nancy said...

WOW....(the quilt)

wow....(George)

and I would use white binding so as not to detract from the triangles..

Megan said...

That's a good idea, Nancy!

Rebecca Merry said...

Whenever I see you've posted I've just got to click you first on my reader. You totally crack me up! Thanks for giving me a giggle!! And that quilt top is simply devine!

barncow said...

Megan I love your quilt and your blog. Now if only you could get George under you quilt......

Lisa Sipes said...

You are absolutely right. That quilt IS utterly breathtaking! You did a fantastic job!
Good luck with all of this employment business!

Shevvy said...

Hmmm George! Yes! Wonderful quilt, wonderful pics. Thanks for sharing them and the laugh.

Patty said...

OMG I cannot decide which I'd rather have....George the quilt or George the hunk. I want both.
....humping your fabric..... oh my!
I'd bind in a dark color to frame the quilt. Just thought I'd throw that one in.

Paulette said...

LMAO! Your George is simply breathtaking!

Lisa said...

LOL! AND LOL! Thanks for the laugh. You never disappoint. :0) I am always happy to see when a new post from you pops up.

The quilt is stunning. It's by far your (and George's?) greatest achievement so far! I don't like working with batiks- I rarely buy them- but I would LOVE to have this quilt.

Sarah Craig said...

Love love love your quilt - truly appreciate the good belly laugh you gave me AND the fact that since my granddaughter is in preschool this morning, I don't have to explain to her what I'm laughing at!! Here's hoping that you get the job, they offer you more than you're worth (is that possible?) AND that they actually give you a paycheck (that doesn't bounce!) on time every time!! Good luck!!

Becky said...

I'm agreeing with Nancy....white binding for sure!

Marion said...

I was going to suggest white binding too, but someone beat me to it. So instead I will suggest sewing together lengths of the batiks you used and creating a multi-colored binding. Could be interesting. Could be frustrating. Could be totally awesome. May not work!

Joy said...

Wow, look what you've created ... the quilt is fabulous!!! I'd agree with Marion, I think a binding made up of all the colours - using the leftovers - would be quite stunning.
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Cascade Quilts said...

DROOLS on George (the man AND the quilt!) Thanks for the laughs, your blog puts a smile on my face everytime you post - and today I needed it after some really bad news at the gyno doc today :(

Beth said...

New. Favorite. Post.

Megan said...

Karin, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope it's nothing too serious.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I would have a baby with George.....

glen: 56 and still would have a baby with George.........oh yeah, the quilt is gorgeous too.....

Anonymous said...

That quilt is stunning!!!! Love how you are so honest in the way you write!

Andi said...

Even my hubby laughed at the Indonesia line. You nailed it!

Sew Here We Are said...

Love it All!! The quilt especially...It is truly stunning!! Congrats :-)

Anonymous said...

Deborah says:

I would go with the name "Gorgeous George". It would definitely make people curious. And of course because it is...gorgeous, that is.

Also, was going to say white, but, since no one else offered an explanation as to why they suggested white binding, I will. I kind of like the way the colors will appear to be floating, especially if hung on the wall.

I wish I was in your job position right now. Tomorrow I'll be going to the employment agency. Ugh! (Though, fortunately, I do still have a job, just not one I like very well any more.) If they don't offer you what you want, walk away!

Loved the Indonesia line!

Cindi said...

Love the quilt! Makes me want to pull out my bright colors and try one too.....

Lee in NB said...

LOL!

GlitzyMe@tampabay.rr.com said...

You make my day, Megan, and George just boosted your popularity (if that's even possible). I think there's a future 'Neil' quilt in my sewingroom. What? Neil who, you ask? (huge sigh) Close your eyes and hear the music......"Diamond"s are a girl's best friend.

KateKwiltz said...

That top is too georgeous for words! Fan-f'ing-tastic!

Texana said...

From my own attempts at capturing the true beauty of a quilt...yours must be breath-taking...and so is George!

June D said...

Beautiful!